Time zones: EST (UTC -5), CST (UTC -6), MST (UTC -7), PST (UTC -8), AKST (UTC -9), HST (UTC -10), ART (UTC -3), UTC -4, UTC -4:30, UTC -3, UTC -2, AST (UTC -4), NST (UTC -3:30)
Aha! is a very different high-growth SaaS company. We are the world’s #1 product development software and help product development teams build what customers love. More than 5,000 enterprises use our suite of products which includes Aha! Create
, Aha! Ideas
, Aha! Roadmaps
, and Aha! Develop
. And they rely on our training programs at Aha! Academy
to become product development experts. We are self-funded, highly profitable, always distributed, and have no sales team. Being an always-remote company means we can hire intrinsically motivated people who love to learn, support their teammates, and want to work from where they are happiest.
Aha! engineering is a mid-sized, fully remote team that is highly productive. We are centered around North American time zones so we can collaborate during the workday.
- We move quickly: We ship code multiple times a day. We believe in getting new features in front of customers and iteratively improving as we learn what works and what does not.
- We collaborate: We each bring unique experiences and skills to the table. Working together to share that knowledge benefits the entire team and helps us produce the best results for our customers.
- We value product over process: We want the team to have the time and focus to solve complex challenges. We aim to minimize the overhead introduced by heavyweight processes and excessive meetings.
- We enjoy: We like what we do. And we want you to love your job too. Learn more about The Responsive Method, our company values, and the generous https://www.aha.io/company/careers/benefits we offer.
Our web application is a single-instance, multi-tenant Ruby on Rails monolith supported by Postgres (database), Redis (background jobs), memcached (Rails caching), and Kafka. We also run a Nodejs webserver to support collaborative editing and real-time updates. Our application is hosted on Amazon Web Services and architected with ECS for reproducibility and scalability.
We embrace new technologies that help us deliver a lovable product, but we also remain cognizant of the maintenance overhead that a new library or platform brings. We solve the problems in front of us rather than prematurely optimizing to address issues that may never materialize. That said, some of the largest companies in the world store a large amount of their precious strategic data in Aha!, so we do plenty of optimizing too.
We do most of our planning and collaboration in Aha! Roadmaps
and built Aha! Develop
so that software engineers and their teams could take advantage of those same rich features. We use Slack and Zoom for video calls. (Email? Rarely.)
We believe that being a kind person who elevates the rest of the team is just as valuable as writing great code. You have strong problem-solving skills and experience working on important functionality for a cloud-based product. You are humble, eager to learn, and always willing to help others learn as well. You want to work with people who enjoy picking up a problem and solving it, regardless of the technologies and techniques involved. You have worked at meaningful scale before and want to do so again.
We are hosted on AWS and love when we can solve one of our problems by using an AWS product directly. You will be expected to be familiar with the AWS ecosystem, and comfortable managing infrastructure with code. We use Postgres heavily, and you will be expected to coach other developers on how to get the most out of it.
Most of our features involve writing significant Ruby on Rails code, so a meaningful past experience working in a Rails codebase is strongly desired.
Your work at Aha!
As Sr. Platform Engineer, you will support the rest of the engineering team by developing abstractions, frameworks, and tools which help other Aha! engineers build the product. This includes:
- Building developer tooling such as CI pipelines, local and staging environments, and helpful CLI tools. You will also assist the SRE team in building out monitoring and observability pipelines
- Building infrastructure services to be used by Aha! product developers. This will usually include writing a reference architecture in our main Rails app
- Working with the SRE team to write and maintain well-written production runbook and operations documentation
- Consulting with application developers on performance optimization or scaling challenges
If the Sr. Platform Engineer role sounds appealing, we would love to hear from you. (A real human reviews every application.)
Grow with us
Everyone deserves to reach their fullest potential. We know that when we do work that matters with people we care about in a high-growth environment, we feel engaged and alive. And our goal is to help you do just that. We offer all the benefits you would expect and more, including profit sharing. The specific benefits listed below are reflective of what we offer U.S. -based hires. We also do our best to extend identical benefits to international teammates.
- Generous salary with annual profit sharing for all
- Medical, dental, and vision plans — for many teammates, we cover 100 percent of the premiums
- Up to 200 hours of paid time off a year to spend however you want
- 30 to 90 days of paid parental leave and five to 10 days of paid care and bereavement leave
- Up to $1,000 annually for third-party education, along with paid time off to immerse yourself in learning
- Aha! contributes a percentage of your total compensation each year towards your retirement