After a heady year of going from 0 to 1 million users, we have secured funding from some of Silicon Valley’s top investors to grow our engineering team to accelerate our growth to 10 million users. You will join a small team of 4 engineers (two others on front-end) dedicated to maintaining and growing our integrations (including Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Classroom, Gmail) enabling voice messaging and feedback use cases for the education sector and beyond.
Mote’s mission is to make voice messaging faster and more useful for busy people everywhere. We help our users to type less, and talk more, so they can save time, communicate clearly and feel better connected.
The stack you will be working on
The back-end is built with Python, Flask, Redis, Dynamo, ECS, S3 and sprinklings of Azure and GCP. A desire to contribute to back-end API implementation is welcomed if full stack feature ownership is strongly desired as a preferred way of working, but is very far from an essential requirement.
As a full time front-end engineer typical duties will include:
- maintain and build new features powering our website and Chrome extension
- extending our layers of test automation (Jest, QA Wolf)
- review and feedback on Figma UX with our Designer
- contribute to coding standards and tooling
- write or review technical proposals on longer running work streams like refactoring the codebase, localisation, increasing test coverage, or packaging up our code into an SDK, porting our experience to React Native
If you like “full-stacking” features, and are willing, able or just curious to learn and contribute to our Python, that is a bonus though not an expectation.
How we work
- We are a remote-only Product and Engineering team based in Europe. We believe some synchrony while we remain small is a startup superpower for being able to stay nimble and flexible. Therefore, team members are expected to be significantly reachable on Slack and Zoom over a 6 hour window between 9 AM to 3 PM GMT during weekdays.
- We are not a huge fan of meetings, having all experienced megacorp meeting anti-patterns, but some high bandwidth communication is necessary for effective team collaboration. At a minimum, we have one weekly sprint retro and planning session, daily engineering stand ups and monthly company-wide town halls. Over and above that, we take a pragmatic, iterative view on the right communication tools and approaches for different types of collaboration, ranging from quick questions in Slack DMs, to tickets in Clubhouse, PRDs and tech specs in Google Docs, Figma design specs, ad hoc Zoom sessions to brainstorm problems, and planned Zoom sessions to review designs or specs.
- Feedback is one of the core use cases of our product. We strongly believe a startup is an accelerated learning laboratory where the most important practise is to constantly and positively reflect on our behaviour and results, providing individual and collective feedback regularly.
- You are a senior front-end engineer, with at least 5 years experience at fast-growth consumer and/or SaaS tech companies.
- You either have formal degree-level training in Computer Science or can demonstrate solid evidence of self-taught solid grasp of fundamentals.
- You have demonstrated you are a high impact team contributor combining high levels of accuracy, rigour and output.
- You have excellent judgement on engineering trade-offs, with a fine-tuned sense of when to pick between accruing more tech debt, leaving as is but increasing tests, refactoring or wholesale rewriting.
- You live by the “no asshole” rule, demonstrating high levels of empathy for peers, non-technical colleagues and users.
We are developing a proof of concept for mobile with React Native, so experience there is desirable but not essential.
- Competitive salary
- Stock option plan
- Leave package
- Work from home
- Flexible hours
- Working with an amazing team
Salary and compensation
$50,000 — $80,000/year