Smile is the largest provider of reward programs in the world. We reward tens of millions of people every year, and power rewards programs for thousands of businesses around the world. We’ve got big scaling plans in 2020 and beyond – we need amazing talent to achieve our goals and you get to be the one to find them and bring them to Smile!
A little more about the Smile Development team:
The engineering team at https://smile.io/ believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We also like to focus on learning, architecture, and platform health. We ship early and often, using feature flags to get our code in the hands of end-users as soon as possible. We also rely on data, user research, and product feedback to make and shape important features and decisions.
We are remote-friendly, with engineers on our team working from home offices in Romania, Cyprus, New Orleans and more! Tell us where you’d like to work when you apply!
Please note that we are not open to freelance project workers at this time – this role is fulltime dedicated to Smile for the long term.
- Build scalable systems, using best practices around automation, pushing changes that improve reliability and velocity
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, planning and reviews
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health
- Provide mentorship and training to other team members on technologies and processes; drive education and knowledge transfer of design patterns, technical practices, and relevant technologies and tools
- Drive high standards around incident response practices and policies
- Gather requirements and make thoughtful tradeoffs to ensure we are focusing our efforts on the most impactful projects
- Work on services and tools to proactively improve the quality and reliability of our production API
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack. Improve operational standards, tooling, and processes
What we’re seeking:
- Prior experience 2-4 years improving the reliability of a SaaS product.
- Prior experience operationally supporting a SaaS product.
- Prior software development experience.
Traits or experience we’d love to see (you don’t need them all to apply!):
- Have prior experience supporting the reliability of and/or developing on an API-based product
- Can think intuitively about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with very occasional Elixir and Go
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Have experience authoring and operating high-scale services, as well as debugging complex systems
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise. Comfortable in collaborating with other teams such as Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers
What’s it like to work at https://smile.io/?
We are a team of smart self-starters who build efficient and unique solutions to problems. You’ll be working with some amazing talent and you’ll constantly be pushed to challenge yourself and improve your skills. This starts in the interview process, where you’ll be asked to show us your skills in real-time. It’s not an easy process, but we think you’ll find it rewarding and a great preview to what working here is really like.
As a team, we’re driven by these core values:
- Be Humble – think of the team before thinking of yourself. We have no room for massive egos.
- Be Hungry – set hard goals, ask lots of questions and learn every day.
- Be Human – show empathy towards others, consider the impact of your decisions on other teams.
We collaborate on everything. Our communication tools and our space are designed with this in mind – from physical areas to connect in comfort to Slack channels of all sorts, we enable you to reach out to those around you to make sure you have the information you need to make great decisions.
We know that https://smile.io/ as a business is in constant evolution – the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our growth, so we talk openly about our career goals, hopes & dreams. With such a diverse team of people, we know we can offer you the mentorship, tools and encouragement you need to grow.
Apply info ->
To apply for this job, please visit apply.workable.com.