Wirecutter is seeking a full-stack Senior Software Engineer to help us grow our organic search audience. Every month millions of people start with Google to inform their buying decisions. As a Senior Software Engineer, you will work collaboratively within a cross-functional team of data analysts, content specialists, and product managers to help more people find our trusted product recommendations.
Google is constantly changing the game, and the technical aspects of our website application’s search-friendliness need to be as high-quality as our content. We are working toward our mission of being the most trusted and helpful recommendation service. You will use your knowledge and skills alongside your team members to help us get there.
We have a respectful and inclusive culture that values learning, creative problem solving, supportive teamwork, and shipping value. At Wirecutter we focus on scale, reliability, performance and product agility, which means picking the right tool for the job, while also being pragmatic and flexible as needed.
Wirecutter is powered by a modern web stack consisting of a variety of languages and frameworks including:
- PHP – WordPress, Laravel
- Python – Django
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate across Product and Technology teams to define the technical SEO roadmap and best practices to ensure all work moves the organic search needle forward.
- Perform technical audits to identify best practices and competitive analysis deficiencies; making recommendations to improve our search engine performance.
- Perform research and monitor various tools to identify technical SEO initiatives or opportunities.
- Work across the different phases of the software development lifecycle including estimating level-of-effort, identifying the best approach, building, performing QA testing, deploying, documenting, debugging, and supporting features.
- Participate and contribute to stand-ups, sprint planning, and retrospectives at the agile team level and up.
- Perform code reviews with helpful and meaningful feedback for your teammates.
- Research, document, note trade-offs and recommend potential solution around future product features.
- Evangelize SEO practices and opportunities across the engineering department to ensure standard methodologies and processes are followed.
- Keep relevant knowledge of the latest search engine trends and innovations up to date.
- Lead by example.
You Should Have:
- Knowledge of search engine crawling and indexing processes, and overall best practices.
- Strong knowledge of software principles, application architecture, data structures, coding conventions, and security practices.
- Ability and/or interest in working across the technology stack (back-end to front-end).
- Strong communication skills that allow you to convey complex ideas in writing or in person.
- Ability to weigh estimated effort/benefit analysis and use your technical skills to achieve business goals.
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Empathy for our readers and desire to improve their experiences.
- Desire to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team and alongside other teams.
- Ideally, you have previously worked on a distributed or hybrid team.
Founded five years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Wirecutter’s main office is located in Long Island City, Queens, NY. We have another small office located in Los Angeles. Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture, and our engineering department is 100% remote. Right now, we are only eligible to hire in the following locations:
AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HA, IA, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA.
Benefits and Perks:
- Support our original, independent and reported journalism.
- We provide great health, dental, vision and life insurance for employees and their families
- We support responsible retirement planning with a generous 401(k) company match.
- We offer a great parental leave.
- We are committed to career development and ongoing learning supported by a formal mentoring program as well as $8,000 annually for tuition reimbursement.
- We have frequent panel discussions and talks by newsmakers and industry leaders.
- Join a community committed to the richness of diversity, experiences and talents in the world we cover, supported by a variety of employee resource groups.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics. The New York Times Company will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local “Fair Chance” laws.
Apply info ->
To apply for this job, please visit nytimes.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.