At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place. Our Apps division designs, builds, and supports our native apps for WordPress, WooCommerce, and Simplenote. As the team and userbase of the WooCommerce mobile app grow, we are looking for a Mobile API Software Engineer to develop new mobile-optimized APIs and improve our existing ones.
As a Senior API Software Engineer in our Apps division, you will:
- Join a diverse team of Designers, and Software, Quality, and Happiness Engineers.
- Develop new APIs and improve existing ones to optimize them for our WooCommerce Mobile apps.
- Work at the crossroads of native mobile development, cross-platform development, and mobile infrastructure.
- Add additional test coverage to existing endpoints to improve reliability and resilience, possibly refactoring code while doing so to improve testability.
This position might be a good fit if you:
- Are passionate about and experienced in backend software development; in particular, advanced PHP knowledge is a plus or interest in building your skills in this area.
- Have experience optimizing APIs for mobile clients in a large scale environment.
- Are experienced and interested in systems architecture.
- Are highly collaborative and love participating in code reviews and discussions about architecture, and/or design.
- Are knowledgeable about design patterns and testability; having experience with testing frameworks, performance and PHPUnit is very welcome.
- WordPress programming experience, in particular WordPress REST API.
- Experience collecting and using data to help inform product decisions.
- Good user experience instincts and product design opinions.
- Open source contributions.
- Contributions to programs designed to help underrepresented people enter the tech field.
Speaking of interests and skills, here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
Curious who works in engineering at Automattic? Meet our Mobile Engineers – Thuy, Elisa and Aaron!