Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $100+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As a part of the Frontend Experience team, you will work on our frontend infrastructure: a collection of reusable components, tools, and utilities that aim to maintain efficient and consistent frontend architecture and workflow.
- UI components library that empowers our product development teams to deliver value to our users rapidly, with a consistent user experience, and consistent look and feel;
CLI tooling to develop, build, test, continuously integrate, and deploy single-page applications with no configuration;
- A library of reusable, complex utilities and modules that support the development of various aspects of single-page applications. For example, a data layer.
We are a tech-focused team and you can expect involvement in tough technical research and decision making, exposure to a large variety of technologies and configurations. You will have to balance the needs of different teams and exercise thoughtful API design. You can expect involvement in deciding where and how the team moves next, and what processes the team adopts and drops. We explore various directions often simultaneously.
You will closely work with React, Typescript, Material-UI, Webpack, ESLint, Jest, Cypress, GQL, Apollo Client, Jenkins, GH Actions, monorepos, and micro-frontends.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will build and maintain first-class frontend infrastructure used to power all single-page applications at Toptal.
Among other responsibilities:
- Design, build and maintain reusable, performant, and reliable UI components, reusable modules for single-page applications and infrastructure tooling;
- Conduct code reviews and give valuable feedback to your colleagues;
- Cover your code with tests and perform manual testing of your features;
- Continuously improve your team’s processes, brainstorm ideas, and communicate your status and progress;
- Support other frontend teams to solve their infrastructural problems;
- Mentor other people, provide feedback, and continuously improve yourself.
In the first week, expect to:
- Meet your teammates who will guide you during the onboarding 2 weeks.
- Get acquainted with our technical stack.
- Install and configure all the tools required for work.
- Open your first PR to our UI components library.
In the first month, expect to:
- Attend regular meetings, like technical calls, retrospectives, and the monthly Engineering All-hands meeting.
- Start working on general team tasks and become familiar with our frontend infrastructure.
In the first three months, expect to:
- Start contributing to the technical research that our team conducts.
- Recommend solutions to the problems in frontend infrastructure areas.
- Deliver value in regular cadence.
- Get comfortable with the daily work routine of our team.
- Review code written by your colleagues;
- Start to receive regular feedback from your manager in accordance with the Toptal engineering growth program.
In the first six months, expect to:
- Become a key member of the team and help others inside and outside of the team.
- Contribute to the planning and executing of larger frontend infrastructure initiatives.
- Consult other frontend teams on how to solve their problems with our products.
- Drive improvements to the codebase and processes.
In the first year, expect to:
- On-board, mentor and be part of the interviewing team, in order to support the growth of our top-skilled engineering team.
- Become a champion of new ideas that will thrive to achieve the purpose of our company while ensuring the quality culture that we value the most.
- Have a grasp of the frontend landscape better than you have ever had before.
- Have very strong analytical skills;
- Have 3+ years of front-end web development experience – preference is given to candidates who have worked on design systems or frontend infrastructure;
- Have a grasp of object-oriented and functional programming, clean code, react design patterns, agile engineering practices;
- Be a team player by unblocking your peers and avoiding solo performances;
- Have strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Be genuinely interested in technology and love to try new things;
- Be comfortable to shift focus often;
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.