Spreedly is a rapidly growing, growth private-equity funded digital payments company with headquarters located in downtown Durham, North Carolina. We’ve developed a high volume, global solution that makes the payment ecosystem better by bringing together a diverse range of merchants and solution providers from around the world.
Our employees help build a culture that values independence, transparency, and collaboration in a digital-first communication environment. We hope you do your best work at Spreedly and find a mature workplace striving to support the ebb and flow of work-life harmony.
Our list of “amazing functionality that customers will happily pay us for if we can just get it implemented…” is growing faster than we can check things off, and we need help from an experienced engineer that can hop into a high-functioning, experienced team and start learning and contributing quickly.
When you start at Spreedly (think first 6-12 months), you’ll be spending 90%+ of your time working right on the product team building functionality for customers. Building product at Spreedly is a bit unique in that our main product is a payments API used by other developers. So while “designing a UI” may mean exactly what it sounds like (creating administrative and analytics tools), it often means thinking through how YOU would want a given API to work if you were using it. “Adding a feature for a customer” often means working through how to securely enable a developer to do something interesting with a credit card number. Super challenging and fun, we think! And since we work with credit card data on a daily basis, thinking about security is a way of life at Spreedly, as is building sustainable processes to keep that information safe (and our auditors happy).
What we’re looking for in a senior engineer is somebody who’s excited by jumping into pretty complex technical problems and making sense of them. We regularly deal with encryption, encoding, and security, all within the context of a distributed system. You don’t have to be an expert in any of those aspects, but you should be really open to learning about them. Once you’ve gotten your feet under you and understand the domain well enough, we’d like you to mentor junior engineers and help them tackle the task at hand using pragmatic software practices. We’re looking for people that are good at their job who are also are interested in elevating the people around them.
What We’re Looking For
- A track record of delivering well-crafted software
- A willingness to be a generalist and the curiosity to try new things you’ve never done before
- Excitement about building products for Spreedly’s customers, who are primarily businesses doing commerce and their developers who are using our API’s and toolkits
- Excellent written communication skills, and a willingness to use them to document your work as necessary
- The ability to operate autonomously, sorting your own immediate priorities out of the ever-shifting needs of a startup environment
- Confidence in your ability to learn new tech as necessary. Today we work primarily with Ruby, Rails, Elixir, Phoenix, Riak, Kafka, Postgres, Redis, and Linux … but are always pragmatically evaluating new languages and tools
What We Offer
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding medical and dental benefits (we pay 100% of monthly premiums for employees + families)
- Life and long-term disability insurance
- Medical and dependent care FSA
- Optional vision insurance
- Open PTO policy
- Remote friendly work environment. Even our local employees are remote 3 days per week!*
- Tues./Thurs. are in-office days for local employees – the rest of the week employees are free to work wherever they choose*
- Paid lunches on in-office days for local employees*
- Quarterly visits to HQ for remote employees*
- 12 weeks paid Family Leave
- Matching 401k plan
- Monthly digital lifestyle stipend
- Yearly professional development opportunities
- *All employees are currently working fully remotely due to COVID19
We’re constantly striving to have the fairest and most productive hiring process possible. We want to ensure that every candidate is treated equally and our interactions are designed with that goal in mind. If you want to get a sense for what your application process will look like, we’d encourage you to read the following: Stop Hazing Your Potential Hires and Programming Puzzles Are Not the Answer.
If this at all sounds interesting, we’d love to hear from you!
Spreedly is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. We actively work to drive out even unintentional discrimination in our hiring processes via practices like blindly graded work samples, structured interviews, and diversity awareness training.
Due to the sensitive nature of what Spreedly does- handling payment data- candidates must complete a successful background check. If you have concerns along those lines, please discuss with us sooner rather than later- we do not want you to waste time in the hiring process and get disqualified at the end if we can help it.
This position is open to candidates in the contiguous US only. We are not set up to support remote employees from CA, NY, WA or outside the contiguous US.All applicants must have a US work visa.
We appreciate your interest in our company. Because of the high volume of resume flow, we will only respond to those candidates that we think will be a potential fit.
Apply info ->
To apply for this job, please visit jobs.lever.co.