Data Scientist – User Segmentation (Remote, 6 months) at MoveOn
Full-time • Competitive Pay • Excellent Benefits • Work from Anywhere in the Contiguous U.S.
Starts August 1, 2021, Ends Jan. 31, 2022
Application deadline Monday June 21 at noon ET. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until job is filled.
To submit an application please go to the link at the bottom of this post.
We encourage people from various backgrounds to apply for this role, including but not limited to: data science, marketing or product analytics, user experience, business intelligence, or academic research. Data analysts are also encouraged to apply.
MoveOn is a diverse and vibrant community of millions of people working together to create progressive change in America. We are an innovative campaigning organization that supports people throughout the country to take action through driving impactful campaigns that influence the behavior of people and institutions, shape the outcomes of elections, and expand the realities of what’s possible. We organize to challenge entrenched power, while pursuing economic, racial, and social justice and a vision of a country in which everyone can thrive.
MoveOn has a vital role to play in securing progress during the Biden-Harris administration, and in organizing the grassroots to set up election wins in 2021, 2022, and beyond. We are building a powerful, multiracial, and economic populist movement, and fighting for progress on health care, climate, racial justice and more. In service of that mission, in 2021 and beyond, MoveOn will drive movement-connected, multichannel, nimble campaigns aimed at impact.
MoveOn’s strength comes from our members, and a substantial portion of that membership includes a large list of mobile subscribers with whom we engage using SMS text messages. These messages often involve “calls to action” for campaigns, mobilizations, and fundraising on issues like racial justice, increasing voting access, foreign policy, raising the minimum wage, universal healthcare, climate change, and more. A major challenge of this mobile program is figuring out how to balance competing costs of sending text messages to a large list and the “costs” of people unsubscribing from our list—all while maximizing the number of action takers from each SMS broadcast.
Cutting-edge data analytics are a core part of what allows MoveOn to drive meaningful, lasting progressive change, and we believe some of the challenges of engaging our mobile subscribers can be mitigated by thoughtful and analytically based segmentation. Working closely with the Analytics Team and others across the organization, your main focus will be to lead this project of SMS member segmentation. Although there will be some parts of this work where other team members will pair with you and/or drive discrete parts of the project, most of the work will be done independently by you.
At a high level, the project would seek to answer the following:
- Who are the people most likely to take action on a particular call to action around a particular issue and thus should be included in the target audience?
- Who are the people most likely to not take action or to unsubscribe when sent a particular call to action around a particular issue and thus should be excluded from the target audience?
- What messages should be sent to what portion of the list to increase aggregate list engagement and activity over time?
Your responsibilities will be to…
- Research and compare various approaches for segmenting our mobile membership.
- Evaluate pros/cons of different methods, navigating complexities around cost tradeoffs.
- Identify a particularly promising method for segmentation, develop a process for implementing it, and then execute the analytics involved.
- Establish a plan for tracking and validating the success of the project.
- Develop any necessary training materials for campaign staff to operationalize the segmentation approach in their daily work.
- Summarize your work in a written report detailing methodological considerations, how segmentation was implemented, and the steps needed to maintain the project’s success in the future.
A successful candidate will…
- Have experience with complex data analysis as well as a deep understanding of a variety of statistical methods and/or advanced machine learning techniques.
- Have experience working with large datasets.
- Be an independent, self-driven problem-solver.
- Be clear about what you know and seek help for things you don’t know. We don’t expect you to be an expert in everything, but we do want someone who is willing to ask questions when needed and know where to go to get help.
- Be a thoughtful and clear communicator. You will sometimes need to work with other individuals and teams across MoveOn. Being able to communicate effectively about technical and nontechnical aspects of the work will be critical to maximizing success.
- Be able to work successfully in a remote environment.
Required skills and experience:
- 5 or more years experience in data analysis and statistics
- Advanced data skills using R or Python
- Familiarity working with and extracting meaning from large datasets
- Communicating technical results with nontechnical audiences
- Preferred but not required:
- Experience in user segmentation analysis
- Familiarity with SQL
- Understanding of advanced experimental methods
We do not expect you to already have all the skills necessary to accomplish this project. We will help you learn and support you in developing skills you may need, or the existing team may have the skills necessary to fill in any gaps.
Reports to: Senior Data Scientist
Location: Position may be based anywhere in the contiguous United States. May require occasional travel.
Salary and Benefits: At MoveOn, we commit to equity in our compensation philosophy and practices. We are committed to equal pay for equal work. To counter systemic compensation issues in this country and pay inequality, we have a nonnegotiable compensation practice. We utilize benchmarking and peer organization data to ensure we provide competitive nonprofit compensation and benefits. The annual salary for this position is $89,465.99. In addition to the base salary, we offer a monthly home office subsidy. We also offer an internet and phone subsidy of $2,100 annually and a health and wellness subsidy of $900 annually. All of these cash benefits are added to your bimonthly paycheck. We offer strong medical, dental, and vision benefits, which are free to employees and children of employees (spouses or domestic partners can be added at a subsidized rate). We offer employer-paid premiums for life insurance; four weeks accrued paid vacation time per year, prorated for the period that you work; 18 weeks of paid parental leave (birth, adoption, foster care placement of a child), 10 days accrued paid sick time prorated for the period that you work ; paid family medical leave; and 8 staff holidays and 6 floating holidays (annually). We also offer $1K in professional development budget each year for each staff member.
https://front.moveon.org Civic Action and https://front.moveon.org Political Action provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.