Community Phone has a straightforward mission: make the phone call more powerful. In doing so, we are transforming the $300B+ US telecom industry. We have thousands of customers around the country, including children trying to purchase landlines for their elderly parents and businesses choosing modern voice features. Our enterprise clients include KFC, AT&T, GM, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Starbucks. We are customer-centric and believe that happy customers are the best sales force on the planet.
We are a venture-backed, Y-Combinator graduate. In 2021 alone, we grew 20%+ month-over-month and have already tripled in 2022. As our revenue and teams have expanded, our product offering has too – with novel voice features available for SMBs for the first time.
About the role
You will be working with our founder and product team (including five other engineers, two senior designers, and a project manager) to build the first full-service API to provision phone numbers and onboard modern voice features (like credit card processing via phone or a crowdsourced real-time spam-call filter). These projects use events only a carrier can get. We process millions of minutes of phone conversations per week, growing about 25% month-over-month.
(Real) Sample Projects Include
- Help design APIs so existing apps (like CRMs) can use voice and message data
- Ultimately, design a system to learn and change a business’s call flow to optimize for e-commerce goals like order creation
- Automatic order-taking or appointment scheduling via voice
- CRM integrations, making real-time speech from phone calls available via API for the first time
- Emergency services integrations for seniors living at home or in assisted living
Accelerate your career as you
- Work with a highly collaborative cross-functional team composed of product managers, a designer, engineers, analysts, and operations working together to define and build the world-class telecommunications experience.
- Tackle complex technical and domain problems in the tired telecommunications industry
- Use your expertise to create technical leverage that enables us to deliver more value to small businesses, enterprise customers, and senior citizens
- Focus on scaling and automating our existing services.
- Evolve our team culture and processes through collaboration and mentorship.
A Bit About You
- Have 4+ years of experience writing production code
- Experienced with backend development
- Experience writing automated tests using CI/CD pipelines
- Strong engineering fundamentals
- Passionate about Community Phone’s mission
- Experienced as a product engineer working on end-user-facing features, collaborating with product and design teams
- Track record of learning and growth
- You are highly curious and almost fearless when it comes to writing software and bringing organization to the wild west of old-school carriers and cable companies… someone who wants to find out what is really going on and wants to make a huge impact.
- Strong verbal and written communication in English.
- Experienced with Python 3, Django, PostgreSQL, Docker
- Experienced leading a project or a team
- Have architected complex systems for long-term maintainability, performance, and scalability
- Initial Screen with our Product Manager
- Technical Screen evaluated by our backend team
Contribute to open source and jump ahead of the line: open a PR with a meaningful contribution to any of our open source projects, and if approved you are guaranteed the onsite interview.
Salary Range: $100,000 – $140,000* + Equity
*Please note this range is specific to employees based in the United States. Salary ranges for employees outside of the United States may vary based on region. Benefits also depend on the candidate’s location.
Equity Eligible: Yes.